Sunday, May 9, 2010

A robot would have been more grateful

I remember when I got my first job at 18, I was so excited because it was then I realized I could afford to spoil my mom for Mother's Day. I was like a kid in a candy store at the local JCPenny, pulling off shirts and pants from the rack, pajamas, underwear even. It was my cocaine, I couldn't wait for Mother's Day, couldn't wait for her to open the gifts, couldn't wait to see the smile on her face letting her know that she was loved and appreciated. Well Mother's Day came and went and I ended going back to the store with all, yes all of the items I purchased, underwear and all. It was then I realized this was no easy feat, my mother was a complex individual who was not easy to please.
Two years later my grandma passed away, days before Mother's Day. I can't even begin to tell you the pain and heartache this caused my mother and I. The years passed, and some years were good and some were not. Which brings me to this year. Knowing how finicky my mother is, she doesn't want clothes, shoes, makeup, jewelry, perfume, knick-knacks, NOTHING.. I knew I was screwed. So I just bought her some essential items, and a rosary which she wanted. Well I guess she woke up on the wrong side of the tracks today.
I wake up to find her in the living room, and I give my salutatory holiday greeting and I get a dry thank you. So we talk for a bit and I tell her how the steering wheel of her car is stiff as a rock, and her response "that's why I want to leave". Yeah for those that need translation, that means she wants to be taken to the heavens, she says this very often and I have told her this is very selfish of her but she keeps on. Right, and she says I'm the one that needs therapy. Anyway, moving on...so she's about to take a shower and I give her the present and she seems pleased, at the moment anyway. She sits down and starts pulling out the gifts a total of 5 items, and it went something like this;
"I don't use this, I don't have time for this...chocolate,okay...oh that's cute" [just imagine the voice of a robot, she was an emotionless piece of scrap metal]
She then puts everything back in the bag, gets up and goes to take a shower.
Wow..Happy fucking Mother's Day to you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment